From Mechanics to Organics, with Bradley Sowash
- Published on: Monday, July 15, 2019
- We’re joined by Bradley Sowash, an educator specialising in creativity and improvisation who we’ve long admired in the world of online music education. https://www.musical-u.com/learn/from-mechanics-to-organics-with-bradley-sowash/
Bradley is a multi-instrumentalist, composer, recording artist and educator. He’s the author of That’s Jazz, a nine-volume jazz piano method and is also known for his live online group jazz piano classes. He runs 88 Creative Keys along with Leila Viss, who’s a past guest on this show. They host webinars and workshops helping music teachers bring more creativity into their lessons.
In this interview we talk about,
- The one piece of advice from a restaurant pianist that changed Bradley’s trajectory from a sheet-music reader to a primarily by-ear player
- How the piano can be seen as an orchestra with four distinct layers
- How customising a melody can be an easy first step in improvisation, and 3 specific embellishments you can try right now on any melody you know how to play
You’re going to love hearing about Bradley’s own musical journey and how that’s all fed into the educator he is today, as well as the examples and demonstrations he provides along the way to illustrate what it means to bring creativity and musicality to your playing.
Links and Resources
Bradley Sowash Music : https://bradleysowash.com/
Bradley Sowash – “That’s Jazz” : https://bradleysowash.com/products-piano-methods/thats-jazz-performance-bundle
Getting Under the Hood, with Leila Viss : https://www.musical-u.com/learn/getting-under-the-hood-with-leila-viss/
88 Creative Keys : https://www.88creativekeys.com/
If you enjoy the show please rate and review it! http://musicalitypodcast.com/review
Join Musical U with the Special offer for podcast listeners http://musicalitypodcast.com/join
Let us know what you think! Email: [email protected]
Learn more about Musical U!
Tone Deaf Test:
Subscribe for more videos from Musical U!
- Source: https://youtu.be/8LrOKxOTzFs